Harpersfield Bridge is a covered bridge spanning the Grand River in Harpersfield Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio, United States. This double-span Howe truss bridge, one of currently 16 drivable covered bridges in the county, is the third longest covered bridge in Ohio at 228 feet. A flood in 1913 washed away the land at the north end of the bridge, and the steel span was subsequently attached. The bridge features a walkway, added during its renovation in 1991-92. The bridge also features an Ashtabula County MetroPark at its north end, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge’s WGCB number is 35-04-19, and it is located approximately 3.4 mi (5.4 km) south of Geneva.
1868 – Bridge constructed.
1913 – Steel span added.
1962 – Bypassed when State Route 534 was rerouted around the settlement of Harpersfield.
1991-92 – Bridge renovated.
Length: 228 feet (69.5 m)
Overhead clearance: 12 feet 9 inches (3.9 m)
Dawn to Dusk
Fishing, kayaking, picnicking, photography, weddings & more. Primitive restrooms, water and one pavilion has electric.
Visit the reservations page to see if your date and time are available. Reservations
Reservations for pavilion use at Harpersfield Covered Bridge Metropark can be made by contacting the Board office at (440) 576-0717 or email email@example.com.
There is No Fee for reserving and using the pavilion.
Harpersfield Metropark has fishing, primitive restrooms, water and one pavilion has electric.
Harpersfield Covered Bridge Metropark is located on Old Harpersfield Road in Harpersfield Township. Old Harpersfield Road can be reached by taking State Route 307 west 1/2 mile from State Route 534. The Metropark is south of S.R. 307.
This 53 acre park adjacent to the historic Harpersfield Covered Bridge, spanning the Grand River (an Ohio designated Wild and Scenic River), is the first and oldest in the park system. The property for the park was purchased in early 1961 from the Western Reserve Properties, representing Fred and Beverly Traub. The park was dedicated by the park board on June 11, 1961 when a flag pole was erected at the park. In the early 1990’s, a donation by the Ohio Water Service (OWS) of land and buildings adjacent to the original park has brought the park to its present size. The value of the property allowed the park board to secure a Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) grant to construct a new pavilion and restroom, in addition to replacement of park water lines and installation of new water fountains.
The Harpersfield Covered Bridge Metropark has an activity field, woodlands, covered pavilions with picnic tables, and a popular bait and gift shop. The patrons now enjoy birding, field games, fishing, kayaking and canoeing, wading, photography, picnicking, and the numerous popular events hosted by the Friends of the Harpersfield Metropark.
The impending Lamprey Barrier replacement by the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), potential covered bridge replacement, and stream bank restoration will provide a unique opportunity to observe best management construction practices in sensitive natural areas.